Fergus Falls Downtown Riverfront Council is a non-profit association formed in 2015 to bring together citizens who share an interest in revitalizing our downtown riverfront. A couple ways we are working to revitalize our downtown are with our annual Over the River Holiday Festival, our Meet Your Neighbor video series, and the annual Mayor-to-Mayor event.
The Fergus Falls Downtown Riverfront Council believes:
- our downtown’s unique feature is our Otter Tail River.
- in the past, we have hidden our riverfront instead of promoting it.
- downtown riverfront space should be used for attractions and amenities, not parking lots.
- other Minnesota cities, large and small, have developed downtown plans that include funding and carrying out the plans, and Fergus Falls needs to do the same.
- development will need a jump-start from a variety of sources, including the city.
- more people living downtown, in a variety of housing options, will bring more vitality to our downtown arts, restaurant, and entertainment scene.
- downtown excitement is a sure way to bring more visitors to Fergus Falls, boosting our economy.
- money spent on downtown improvements will increase the value and tax revenue of all downtown property, not just the new development.
- our downtown needs a “town square” or “civic center” complex, and future actions and amenities should be centralized, not scattered at the edges of town.
- riverfront green space and trails are key to the success of downtown.
- there should be downtown lodging options for visitors to Fergus Falls.